So, you finally finished that big project, set up your first website, or wrote that book you’d been putting off, or finished that huge project for a client – that took you months. Good for you! Be proud. Be confident. Take a moment to just bask in what you have accomplished. It. Was. Huge. You know it was.
But now that you’re done, what should you do next?
I’d like to offer up 10 ideas for what to do when you’re done with a big project. Some of them you might not have even thought about. They aren’t all about work, as there really is more to life.
- Celebrate. It can be something simple, such as that Chai Tea from your favorite cafe, or maybe a movie you’ve been wanting to see. Perhaps tea with your daughters, or lunch with the bestest. Do something.
- Buy yourself something at least somewhat related to your business, such as a nice hardcover journal with a decorative pen for note-taking, or some new jewelry to wear during your next meeting. The bracelets and hair accessories in the picture cost me next to nothing, but they are nice to have when I want to add a little flair.
- Take a day off. Start with a slow morning of waking up when your body is ready, meditating, doing a little yoga, journaling, and having a light breakfast. Then take a walk near the river, and stop into the cafe for an iced tea on your way home. Watch a movie, read a book, or take some time to pamper yourself. Enjoy the day!
- Decide on your next project.
- Put your files from the previous project away, and set up new ones and other necessities for the next project.
- If you wrote a book, set the manuscript aside for a while to step back from it. Plan to do a first edit in two weeks, or a month.
- Take an afternoon to sit on the back porch with a pen and paper, and brainstorm ideas for things you want to do for your business.
- Update your portfolio and/or resume.
- Clear off your desk, give it a good washing, and then set things on it in a different way than before. Put a plant on the desk, or something decorative in nature.
- Send out queries for future projects.
What’s your top 10 list?
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017