Stress is a factor in burnout, and you don’t want that to happen when building and maintaining a career. It can cause health and other problems that a freelancer just does not want to have to deal with.
Most stress can be avoided by simply being sure that you are taking needed time off and finding the time to relax. This can be done in a variety of ways, including:
- Journaling: Done each day, morning or night, journaling gives you a chance to get your thoughts on paper. It can also be therapeutic, allowing you to work through issues that arise in your life.
- Walking:A walk is a great way to alleviate stress. It gives your mind a chance, first, to work through the problem. Walking then allows your mind to take a break from the situation, affording you time to think about other things. Walking also helps you to enjoy some physical activity.
- Workout: Another great stress reliever that also provides you with needed exercise opportunities. This activity allows you to clear your mind by concentrating on something else for a while.
- Music: Listening to music will also take your mind off stressful things, particularly if you sing along.
- Read: Loosing yourself in a story allows your mind freedom from stress as well. It may also give you creative ideas that will help your own writing career along.
- Leave: Without the need to even leave your home, you can block out the rest of the world. Leave it all behind and go where your brain tells you to go. Sit back and relax. Watching old movies helps me with this. Done outside, you are able to watch others – or nature – to take your mind away from your troubles.
- Garden: Another avenue to explore that will provide you with physical activity and the ability to tune unwanted things out. This one may also provide you with healthy food at a fraction of what it will cost you in the grocery store.
- Paint/Draw: Thinking about another task helps you to clear your mind. Artistic ways of doing this are always productive and may be relaxing.
- Scrapbook: Another artistic venue, scrapbooking will help you to put your mind to use somewhere other than on business.
- Photography: Getting out in nature is good for you. Photography gives you another creative outlet to work with.
In what ways do you relieve or prevent stress?
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017