Autumn brings Thanksgiving. A wonderful day to reflect on what we are each thankful for. It also brings autumn decorations, crisp air, and beautiful scenery. All these things bring to mind many writing and photography outlets for the freelancer.
These ideas will get you started, and your mind will likely naturally come up with many of your own.
For the Fiction Writer
- Write a short story about a young couples first Thanksgiving together. At their country home. With guests.
- Write a story about a romance started on Thanksgiving.
- Write about a dying girls last Thanksgiving.
- Write a story that takes place in an orphanage during Thanksgiving week.
- Write a story about a family who helps others on Thanksgiving.
For the Nonfiction Writer
- Write a series of personal essays about Thanksgiving.
- Write a how-to article for a thankfulness project to be done as a family.
- Write a series of Thanksgiving recipes for your food blog.
- Then write a series of recipes for using the leftovers from your Thanksgiving meal.
- Journal about your favorite Thanksgiving.
For the Poet
- Use these words in a poem: Autumn, bright, foliage
- Use these words in a poem: Thankful, lover, beauty
- Use these words in a poem: Thanksgiving, family, friends
- Use these words in a poem: Love, blessing, sun
- Use these words in a poem: Aroma, get-together, evening
For Combining Photography and Writing
- Photograph your way through making a recipe, or an entire meal, and then write a blog post describing your steps. Here is an example.
- Go on a picture-taking expedition, to photograph the autumn scenery. Create a slideshow, explaining why you took each shot, what it is, and where it was taken.
- Take pictures of your child doing a craft. Write a step-by-step how-to article using the photos as a guide.
- Photograph your set Thanksgiving table before people sit down. I view of the whole table, then a view a place setting, and separate photos for each component of the place setting and the centerpiece(s). Write an article describing how you set the table in detail.
- Take photos of your Thanksgiving decorations, inside and out, and write an article on how to decorate.
There you have it. My Thanksgiving prompts for you.
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017