Autumn brings Thanksgiving. A wonderful day to reflect on what we are each thankful for. It also brings autumn decorations, crisp air, and beautiful scenery. All these things bring to mind many writing and photography outlets for the freelancer.
These ideas will get you started, and your mind will likely naturally come up with many of your own.
For the Fiction Writer
- Write a short story about a young couples first Thanksgiving together. At their country home. With guests.
- Write a story about a romance started on Thanksgiving.
- Write about a dying girls last Thanksgiving.
- Write a story that takes place in an orphanage during Thanksgiving week.
- Write a story about a family who helps others on Thanksgiving.
For the Nonfiction Writer
- Write a series of personal essays about Thanksgiving.
- Write a how-to article for a thankfulness project to be done as a family.
- Write a series of Thanksgiving recipes for your food blog.
- Then write a series of recipes for using the leftovers from your Thanksgiving meal.
- Journal about your favorite Thanksgiving.
For the Poet
- Use these words in a poem: Autumn, bright, foliage
- Use these words in a poem: Thankful, lover, beauty
- Use these words in a poem: Thanksgiving, family, friends
- Use these words in a poem: Love, blessing, sun
- Use these words in a poem: Aroma, get-together, evening
For Combining Photography and Writing
- Photograph your way through making a recipe, or an entire meal, and then write a blog post describing your steps. Here is an example.
- Go on a picture-taking expedition, to photograph the autumn scenery. Create a slideshow, explaining why you took each shot, what it is, and where it was taken.
- Take pictures of your child doing a craft. Write a step-by-step how-to article using the photos as a guide.
- Photograph your set Thanksgiving table before people sit down. I view of the whole table, then a view a place setting, and separate photos for each component of the place setting and the centerpiece(s). Write an article describing how you set the table in detail.
- Take photos of your Thanksgiving decorations, inside and out, and write an article on how to decorate.
There you have it. My Thanksgiving prompts for you.
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017