As a freelance writer, I spend much time every day in front of the computer. This means that I am not always getting in all of the required steps each day. Sure, I walk 2 to 9 miles a day, generally speaking, from spring to fall. But what about winter, and days when the rain keeps me inside?
It is suggested that each person take at least 10,000 steps per day to maintain a healthy weight, or to lose excess weight. While I have lost half of the weight I gained over the years, I still have a way to go. When I am consumed with projects and have deadlines for completing them, I often do not even think about exercise. This is not helping me any.
Below are some ways that I am going to be adding steps to each day. I have a pedometer that will help me to keep track of what I am doing. The trick with one of these contraptions, I am told, is to put it on as soon as your feet hit the floor in the morning and not take it off until you go to bed… and while showering or swimming.
- Stop grouping errands. I walk for almost all of my errands, but I always enjoyed grouping them all together to get them out of the way. This does save time, but it also drastically reduces the amount of exercise that I get.
- Stop streamlining chores. Again, I started doing this to save time. However, it also takes away steps, resulting in less exercise.
- Play in the dirt for at least 20 minutes a day, spring to fall. More when setting up garden beds. I love to garden.
- Walk to my sisters’ or the library to work using the wireless when feasible, rather than always sitting here in the trailer.
- Get up. Get moving. After each article or project, I will get up and take some steps. At least 250, while trying for more given enough time.
- While I generally walk to the park to work for a morning or afternoon during good weather, I could step this up a bit. Half way through the work, I might get up and walk around the loop a few times. Then get back to work.
- I plan to start walking at least three evenings a week while watching television.
How do you get more steps in each day. Share with us in the comments below.
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017