And the fourth and final week of the 4 Week Write Your Own E-Book Challenge begins…
Are your ready for yet another productive week?
Remember: Productivity is key.
You have come a long way in this challenge, and you will finish up by the end of the weekend. How do you feel? Are you happy with your accomplishments? You should be.
All of the writing should be done at this point, and it is time to move on. Time to finish the project and get it published. Here we go!
Before you can publish anything, you must edit. Many people will be able to accomplish this with one read through, changing anything necessary. This may take an evening, a day. Others may need to read through twice. I suggest doing this second read through tomorrow to give yourself a break. This will make it easier to catch the last few typos. Still, others may wish to have someone else read over the material and make suggestions. This person may catch things you do not.
You should only need a day, possibly two, for the publishing process,
so spend this week editing and save the rest for the
weekend if possible.
What are you looking for when editing? Start with the obvious. Use the spell and grammar check functions in your word processor. Be careful, though. These functions are not always right. Punctuation is another important factor. Be sure to use question marks appropriately, and eliminate or seriously restrict the use of exclamation marks. They are rarely needed. Be sure that apostrophes and commas are used correctly as well.
Before finishing up, read the manuscript aloud. Be sure that each paragraph, each sentence, flows naturally when read this way. You do not want your manuscript to sound broken, disconnected.
Now is also the time to make sure you have gotten your point across.
After your manuscript has been edited, you will want to create an e-book. This can be done in the form of a PDF document, which is easy to create within your word processing software. For instance, when using OpenOffice, simply click on the PDF icon in the tool bar. For me, this is the second tool bar from the top, the sixth icon in. Using this icon will aid you in publishing the manuscript.
There you have it, the finished product. Now you can sell manuscript on your site and elsewhere. I will elaborate on this a little in Fridays’ challenge wrap up.
UP NEXT: Challenge Wrap Up
Shannon L. Buck
- April 2012 E-Book Challenge: Begin Writing (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- April 2012 E-Book Challenge: Continue Writing (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017