Do you consider yourself fit?
As a freelance writer, I spend an extreme amount of time sitting in front of my computer, typing away to earn the money necessary to live off. During good weather – spring to fall – I walk anywhere from 2 to 9 miles per day, often taking work along with me to do in the park. I also garden. However, during the coldest days of winter I do not walk. My asthma prevents me from doing this.
I try to exercise inside each day during the winter, but sometimes I slack. At times, I slack more often. I just get so wrapped up in writing, that I don’t even think about working out.
When I do think to do so, I do walk or dance workouts, some yoga or some weight activities, but I am not getting as much activity in during the colder months as I do the rest of the year. Not really.
I do have weight to lose, and am working on it. Here are some ways in which you can have a more active lifestyle as a freelance writer, thereby living healthier:
- Eat healthier, lighter meals.
- Keep healthy snacks in a basket at the desk, if you are like me and will otherwise forget to eat.
- Keep a water bottle filled on the desk as well.
- Keep hand weights near your desk, and use them while reading blog posts or articles.
- Get up and move, for at least 5 minutes out of each hour. Clean something, or walk in place.
- Garden. A great workout, even if you only spend 30 minutes on it a day.
- Walk to anything that is within 30 minutes from your home: The bank, the library, the store.
- Find time to enjoy nature by walking in the park whenever possible.
- Stop streamlining. The more you do this with the duties you perform each day, the less activity you put forth. Don’t run all of your errands, on foot, in one day. Split walking errands up throughout the week so that you have to go out.
- Stability balls are your friend. Use one. If not when sitting at your desk, then while watching television in the evening.
- Stretch. Every morning and every evening, as well as at lunch time.
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017