All you have to do is look. Why not bring along the family, or your closest friends, and make a day of it. Shoot for a flea market a couple of hours away. Get there early, and have a look around.
What can you find?
- Old, large baskets to hold industry magazines, use as a waste can, or to put your notebooks in.
- Smaller baskets for stock up items such as pens and pencils, paperclips, rubber bands, tacks, highlighters, and more.
- Quart size canning jars make lovely pencils holders for the top of your desk.
- Smaller canning jars will come in handy as well. Screw the lids and bands to the bottom of the shelf above your desk. Place small items such as staples, paper clips, and tacks, in separate jars, and screw the jars to the bands. This will keep those small items off the top of your desk for a less cluttered look.
- Old cups and glasses might also hold pencils, markers, pens, and highlighters.
- An old dresser can be spruced up, and different items can be stored within. This is especially useful if you want certain items out-of-site.
- Old suitcases, stacked in a corner, are another way to store things you want hidden.
- Decorative bowls, lined up on a shelf or on the top of a stand, will hold any number of items including post-its flags and index cards.
- An old trunk would be the perfect place to put records you don’t need to see every day.
- Old metal coffee cans, left as are, make great storage containers as well. Line them on the top of a book shelf to hold stock up items such as printer cartridges.
- A card catalog drawer can be used to organize research information.
- An old picnic basket will hold the items you always bring out to the porch, when you want to work outside.
- Cigar boxes will also hold items you need to stock up on.
While it may be tempting to refinish everything you find, you may want to keep some of the original looks. They are full of character.
On the way home from your flea market trip, stop in to a few yard sales and antique stores. You never know what might catch your fancy.
Have you found any creative storage solutions? How have you made them work for your office space? Let us know below, or email me at email@example.com. I respond to all emails.
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017