I’ve always wanted to write fiction, and I love writing nonfiction. I want to be able to write what I want, when I want. Some stories a writer chooses to publish might be a little ‘riskier’ than others, for one reason or another.
I recently published Alone, a story I like to call a short-short. It is short enough to read on a break at work, or while in a waiting room. This story is ‘risky’ because it is a sad one, though it was actually one of my most popular ones pre final edit – the reason I decided to polish it up and sell it. Not everyone wants to read a sad story.
In all honesty, I didn’t think (back then) it would go over as well as it did. But I’m glad it did, of course. Every writer wants their stories to be read by many people. I would love to know why so many people like the story.
So risky, in this sense, is about writing what you’re not sure others will want to read and waiting to see how it goes. That is what I did with Alone. I had no idea why I wrote it, but I remember feeling the emotion. I thought others might feel that emotion as well.
So I added this story to my continually growing collection of published fiction, right along with my growing collection of nonfiction.
All writers (who want to) should be writing in both genres. And we hope our readers will enjoy both formats. Or, if not both, at least one.
You’ve watched the members of your family die from a disease they cannot name. One they cannot stop. Then, when no one is left for you to turn to, the disease catches up with you. Do you stay at the hospital knowing they can’t help? Knowing there is no hope? Or, do you follow your instincts and do what you want?
It is a lonely world when you are alone.
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017