As a freelancer, it becomes evident that you are not always going to get what you want. Things are not always going to go as planned. You are not always going to be able to pull everything off, like getting dinner on the table for your family when the deadline for the most recent project is 6:00 PM!
Don’t be too hard on yourself.
If you know you have that deadline and you wont have a lot of time to spend on meal prep, there are a few options. 1. Throw ingredients in the slow cooker and allow everything to cook on low over the course of the day. 2. Set an alarm to remind yourself to order food for delivery. 3. Have hubby or your teenager pick up pizza on the way home that afternoon.
When you find yourself stuck not knowing how to get a project finished, note what you do not understand and call the client. Explain what you are unable to complete. 1. He will decide to go with someone else, letting you off the hook and taking a great deal of stress off your shoulders. 2. She will guide you through the area that is causing you stress.
Sometimes things do not pan out, so it is good to have a backup plan. 1. The interviewee backs out at the last-minute, but you don’t need to stress because you were already set up to interview two other sources for the same article. 2. You are researching a difficult topic and cannot get much information for that 2,000 word article, but recall that the professor at the local university is an expert.
Accept that you have limitations.
Accept that you may need to change course.
Accept that you may need a backup plan.
Be prepared, as much as you can.
Do not be too hard on yourself. It causes more stress than necessary. Usually, if you try hard enough, you will find the people or information needed to complete projects.
And you are not Wonder Woman or Super Man, even if you enjoy pretending that you are. It is okay to ask for help.
How do you get through difficult times? Share with us in the comments below, or email me at email@example.com. I answer all of my emails.
Think positive thoughts
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017