It can sometimes be difficult to find time to work on a freelance business, if you have another job as well or family responsibilities. I work a ‘day job’ then come home to work on my writing business, clean my home, run my errands and try to relax. Sometimes, I would rather be relaxing than working on the business. And I rarely have time to hang out and enjoy the company of friends and family.
With two daughters grown and out on their own, you’d think I would have plenty of time for the writing business. This is not always the case, though. I try to keep up with everything, but it is hard.
I try to schedule out time whenever I can, though. I do want to concentrate more on fiction writing this year, and keep up with the freelance work. I usually have two days off, and these are generally spent writing part of the day and at the library working on other writing tasks the rest.
The important thing to remember is that you cannot do everything. Don’t stress because you don’t have enough time for the business, just keep plucking away at it.
Possible goals may be:
Work on the freelance career at least half the day on days off from the ‘day job’.
Spend a couple hours in the evenings, after coming home from work.
Keep a notebook available to make notes in, so as not to forget the important business tasks.
Bring the laptop to work, so tasks can be worked on at lunch or while waiting for the bus.
Schedule specific days for writing, and other days for internet use. (I do not have internet at home, so I have to schedule online use around my job and two separate libraries.)
Do what you can, in between or doing other tasks. For instance:
Brainstorm business ideas while watching television during the evening hours.
Do other household chores while doing laundry, so you can have time later to work on a story.
How do you fond time for a freelance career?
Shannon L. Buck
- Welcome to Year 4! (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- Year 3 Wrap Up (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017