I work as a Front Desk Agent at an inn, so I see and talk with many people every day. This is great, but there are only a few regular guest who are on my friends list.
Obviously, I work with others. And we chat while at work. Sometimes I ride in with one of my coworkers, or home. This is always a treat. A little downtime, once or twice a week, chatting with a friend before I go home to write or clean. I love it. And sometimes I visit with my mom, or take a trip to see one of my daughters.
But, usually, I am not really socializing when I am not at the inn.
My best friend and I make it a point to hang out once in a while. Not every week. Not even every single month. Just once in a while, when we both have time in our very busy lives. We chat. We rant. Sometimes we take a day trip somewhere for picture-taking opportunities.
Later this month, we are going to take off early one morning to photograph our way up north. We will meet up with my daughter, and spend the night at her place. Then we will head back the next morning, taking our time for more photo taking opportunities. We will listen to music. Chat. Enjoy some good food along the way. A time to cherish. A friendship to cherish.
I need this time away from the norm. All freelancers need to have time with their friends, no matter how fleeting the moments. A get together here and there to keep us in the loop. To helps us blow off steam. To comfort us.
A day away. A ride home from work. One is just as important as the other for me.
Do something, every so often.
- Meet ever morning at a coffee-house.
- Ride your motorcycle alongside friends once a week.
- Take a day trip once a month.
Find something to do with one or more friends. Something to strengthen bonds, and to take your mind of your freelance career. You will go back to it refreshed.
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017