I like to write newsletters. I have two that I write with each seasonal change:
Frugal Recipes Happenings
I used to write a homeschool one as well, when I homeschooled my daughters, and had a parents newsletter for my daycare. They are fun to create, and a great way to keep in touch.
The two I write now are pretty basic, but people seem to like them. They are online, and I do not print them for people. One is done on LiveJournal.com, the other on tumblr.com, though you could use other platforms. Choose whatever feels right to you.
What type of newsletter should you create? Well, I was thinking you could try a fun one on something other than your freelance career. (Though you could certainly do both.) At least for this project, because it should be done for fun. Here are some possible topics:
- Family Reunions
- House Decorating
- Stamp Collecting
The ideas for newsletters seem endless. Remember to choose something you enjoy, to make the process fun.
Maybe you love tiny homes, and want to create a newsletter about ways to cut back on possessions so you can live in one. Or maybe you have a hunting camp and spend a lot of time there, and want to create a hunting themed newsletter. Choosing topics you are interested in will help you stay motivated to complete the project.
What are the different elements of a newsletter? Well, it depends on the topic. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- A main article.
- Two or three other articles.
- An advice column.
- A recipe or two.
- Craft projects.
- A reading list or book review.
- Your favorite items from your tackle box and why.
- Games and/or puzzles.
- Lesser known trails in your area.
Whatever will go along with the topic of your newsletter.
When the newsletter is complete and edited, print copies to give out and/or offer it online. If you enjoyed the process, perhaps you will decide to write monthly or quarterly issues. If you decide against it, then at least you opened your mind to a new experience – and hopefully took something important away from the project.
Feel free to share a link to your newsletter in the comments, or email me a link at email@example.com. I will be happy to check it out.
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017