Getting out to do things is as important a part of life as family, friends, and working toward career goals. It is not good to stay inside all the time, even though some winters are so bad you can’t help it.
I know. I have asthma, and extreme cold keeps me inside. I don’t get to go outside to walk or anything else in extreme cold temperatures, and we got too much of that here in Maine this winter.
With the first day of spring coming right up, there has been a noticeable change in temperatures. I have taken advantage and walked each day it was possible to do so. I feel so much better.
As you are out and about, be sure to be socialize – at least some of the time. Even I have days where I do not want to socialize. I just want to walk around, taking pictures, hoping no one bothers me. But I also know how important it is to talk to people in the community.
- Strike up conversations with retailers, waiters, and even the people living up the road you haven’t met yet. Pay attention to their character. Maybe you will glean ideas for a new story.
- Remember that, while you hide away working on your freelance career, the world goes on without you. Notice what has changed in the community. Are there new businesses to visit? New neighbors? Have the Farmer’s Markets started back up again?
- Go to the cow barns. Ask about photographing the animals, and learn what you can about them. If you learn something interesting, write about. Ask about using these people as sources.
- Visit the community gardens, another photo opportunity, and talk with the people running them. Ask questions about the types of plants, when they are in bloom, and how they grow. You may be able to use the information and photographs in your career.
- Relax at the park, striking up small conversations with those who walk by. Write about all the ways you can think of to relax.
- There are likely plenty of opportunities to talk with others on the bike paths during the spring months, with the warmer weather. It is likely you will come across friends and, if you walk them often, you may make a new friend or two. You might be amazed by the writing topics that come to mind.
Have new experiences. Go to new places. Meet new people. Record interesting thoughts and facts, as well as ideas. Photograph nature in all its beauty. Check out these ideas, and come up with some of your own.
- Visit the coast. Smell the ocean air. Bring along your camera, a notebook, and a pen for recording ideas.
- Bring a blanket and a picnic lunch to a quiet place in nature. Relax for a while, and write if anything comes to mind.
- Hike a mountain, taking pictures along the way. Do not rush. You want to enjoy the experience.
- Rent a cottage on your own at the ocean or a lake, for a week or two. Brainstorm new ideas for your business. Take notes if you want, but don’t actually work. Journal. This is a creativity retreat. Ideas are what you are looking for. Be sure to include money making ideas, as well as giveaways for readers or clients.
- This summer, go sailing with friends. Just for fun.
- A summer camping weekend with family would also be fun. Go somewhere you haven’t been.
Getting out in nature, spending time with family and friends, and talking with other people are good for you physically, mentally, and emotionally. Having fun and learning new things open up more ways for you to expand your business. And occasional brainstorming sessions are essential.
Feel good bout yourself and your surroundings, and about your place in the world, and you will go far in your freelance career.
How do you go about taking care of your social needs? Let us know in the comments below, or email me at email@example.com. I respond to all emails.
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017