Why a Blog?
A blog is a creative way for you to get the word out about your business and yourself. It allows you to get a variety of information out to the public all at once, and aids you in building client/customer relationships.
It is not uncommon for a business owner to get a domain name for their business. If this blog had its’ own domain name it would read http:// howtolivethefreelancelife .com. Without one, the words .wordpress are placed before the .com.
Sometimes the lack of domain is because a new business owner is unable to pay for one. Every penny counts within the household when you are just starting out. Sometimes it is because the blog is not meant to be around forever.
Having a domain is a choice you must make on your own. How important is it to your businesses’ workings? If you choose not to grab up the domain now, be aware that it may not be available later on.
What to Include
What you include on your blog will depend on the type of services or products you are selling. There are some basic items that you will want to consider:
- Your name and contact information. You may wish to keep your home phone number and address off the blog. I have my post office box listed, as well as city, state and country. The going thing these days is to add your location on every page, even if it is just your state and country. I believe it has to do with Googles’ geo-tracking or something. (I still have to look into this more.) Customers and clients may like to search for people within their general location to work with.
- An About Me/Us page is important. Without giving away too much personal information, create a page that will help people to know you on a bit of a personal level.
- If your business requires a FAQ page, add it.
- Copyright information.
- Information about your services and/or products, and about your business in general.
- A photograph of yourself.
- Samples of your work.
There are a great many other things that you can do with your blog. More information that you can add. Themes to check out, as well as widgets and other features. Have fun with it.
A blog does not have to take a lot of time to put up, but you should update it regularly. For more information:
Formula for a Successful Blog
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017