I was chatting with a friend this afternoon, who was asking me how long it takes to write an article. This question, and the rest of our conversation, got me to thinking about productivity when writing and after.
How does one lead a more productive writing life? These are the steps I take for each post or article.
- I generally spend a concentrated 10 to 20 minutes writing an article. Sometimes less, other times more if it is a lengthy one. The point is that I only write.
- I then edit. Spelling. Punctuation. Grammar. That is it. A quick edit to be sure all is right.
- My next step is to read through the article quickly, often aloud. This allows me to be sure that the article makes sense. All told, to get to this pints usually takes me about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Posting the article only takes a couple minutes. including adding tags and choosing categories.
- I then choose a photo. one of mine, one of the choices along my sidebar, or one from Morguefile.com. This is a quick process as well.
- I then spend about 5 minutes promoting the post or article.
In less than 40 minutes I can have an article up and ready to read. I can write 5 or 6 of these in one morning, then spend time in the afternoon on other things.
Here are some tips. Feel free to add some of your own tips below, or email them to me at email@example.com.
- Do not pay attention to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or any other networking system while writing an article.
- Do not answer texts on your phone.
- Do not get distracted by the people around you.
- Never mind anything else that might need to get done.
- Force yourself not to spend too much time on any one step above.
- Do not sweat the small stuff. If you notice a typo when you are looking at your blog next week, fix it then. Most people to not expect perfection.
Just stay on task until each step is complete.
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017