Each year, during the months of November and December, I think about what I might want to get myself for Yule. I am single, so I can’t count on anyone to get me what I really want. And sometimes I do not know what I want until I see it, so no one else could really know what to get for me in the first place.
Some years I may decide I want a new outfit, or possibly some very good, expensive chocolate. Sometimes I would rather have a new movie, or even a CD.
This year I decided I wanted to have something that might help my freelancing along somewhat. This something took me a while to decide on, but I knew before Thanksgiving what it would be.
On Black Friday I ordered it from Walmart.com.
I did not want to go into a store on that day, so I ordered it online.
What was it that I wanted so badly, but did not want to have to go out for?
Specifically, an RCA 7-inch Tablet, 8 GB Quad Core with a keyboard and a sexy purple case! *Purple is my favorite color 🙂 *
Regularly $89.00, I paid $49.00. I now see they are selling for $59. I think I did good waiting for the Black Friday sale, and saving $40.00.
I actually have been considering a tablet since I started working as a Front Desk Manager at the inn a couple of years back. Guests come down often asking questions about how to use their tablet with our internet. I managed to learn just the very basics of getting them online without having a tablet of my own, but that was about it.
I was wondering what all the fuss was about, and so decided I needed one. I reasoned that I could use it for aspects of my freelance activities, so this helped me to make the final decision on wanting one.
However, the price was too steep for me. I have friends who spent so much money on their tablets, and I did not want to do that. There was every chance that I was going to regret this purchase, after all.
Even though $89.00 was far less than others had spent on iPads and other such devices, I had serious qualms about spending even that much. I was so happy to be looking online and notice this one for only $49.00.
I ordered the tablet and a Wintec FileMate 8GB Swivel USB Flash Drive. Unfortunately, purple was not a choice. Black was, though. Usually $9.99, I paid only $4.99.
So, how are these helping me with my freelance activities?
- The flash drive is actually holding manuscripts of fiction. I love to write short stories, and am using the flash drive in case (Goddess forbid!) something happens to my trusty laptop.
- I am still learning the different things I can do on my tablet. I realize this could take a while, but there are a few things I know:
- It is easier (for me) to use Twitter and LinkedIn on the tablet than it is to use them on my laptop. However, I like to use Facebook and other social media sites better on the laptop.
- The tablet is far lighter than the laptop, and is smaller, so it is easier to carry places.
- I can update my blogs on the tablet, though my preferred method is on the laptop. This does mean that I can update the blogs while on the go, however.
- It is easier to listen to audio books using Audible on the tablet than it is on the laptop. I listen to freelance, marketing, and writing materials, among other things.
That is what I know so far!
Do you buy yourself a gift at this time of year? Is it a personal gift, or one for your business? Feel free to share.
I will update when I know more about what I can do. And if you have any tips, please share them in the comments below, or by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Shannon L. Buck
- Moving On - January 4, 2018
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017