It is vitally important the we, as freelancers, make time to do the marketing for our businesses. How else will we sell our products and/or services?
I know, I know… Writers just want to write. Photographers just want to take pictures. Web designers just want to design sites. I hear you there.
Believe me. I would much rather be writing than marketing.
But I am also aware that I wont sell a heck of a lot if I do not figure out this marketing thing. So I am taking steps to be a better marketer, and to make the time to do so. Here is what I have done/am doing:
- I spent time last winter learning more about marketing. About the concept of marketing. About how to go about the act of marketing. About when to market. What did I learn? a lot. I learned about many techniques, and tips for going about the process in an (mostly) organized manner. And so on. And so on.
- I also learned that I was doing a few things right, for the most part. Especially the social media aspect of marketing.
- I have begun the process of marketing in earnest. Still learning, but in a way that puts things into action.
How can a freelancer make time for marketing?
- Make time 3 to 5 days a week for marketing. Schedule it in so you don’t forget.
- Keep a list of marketing techniques that you wish to implement for each project. Ad one or more to your to-do list each day, and mark them off as you go along. On the original list, note the dates you did/started each task. Over time, record how each step progressed. Or didn’t progress if that was the case.
- Do your main work for a couple each day, then market for an hour.
- Or, do so in the morning, then again in the afternoon.
- You could also schedule one day a week for marketing, rather than splitting the tasks up over a number of days.
- Try writing an article, marketing for 30 minutes, then repeating the process throughout the day until you are done working.
- Set aside an hour or two a week to learn more about marketing. Take notes.
How do you make time for marketing? Or do you even do so yet? Let us know in the comments, or email me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out the Special Report Careers for Freelancers.
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017