I’ve done theme words or phrases the past four years: Prepare, Be Creative, Simplify, and Courage. I was pretty darn successful at each of these, and have decided I like theme words and goals better than resolutions. They work for me.
My 2017 theme word is:
And boy do I need it! I’m not just talking about my writing life, either. I need to find ways to organize the room I rent to make it feel more cozy and tidy; more homey. I’m planning on a year of organizing everything I possibly can, from home to personal stuff to business.
It should all keep me pretty busy.
As for organizing my writing life, I want to:
- Set up a system for tracking stats.
- Post about my checklist for manuscript to-do’s, after updating the existing one.
- Order more folders for filing.
- Revamp physical file system.
- Go through all manuscript folder checklists to be sure I have done everything I wanted to do for each published manuscript. If not, do it!
- Set up the file folders.
- Attack my email in-box and rethink folders.
- Get everything in the cloud, as well as on flash drives. Let’s just say I want multiple ways to save things. Just in case. Excessive? Maybe. But I’m okay with that.
- Keep track of all the places each manuscript is published.
- Create my own to-do list for necessary things to do monthly and yearly.
- Posted about how I use todoist?
- I need an administrative day each week.
- Does my subscription tracker on the site need updating?
- Posted about Evernote yet? Story outlining, note-taking, character development, research.
- Set up a simple record-keeping system, to go along with my yearly tax file.
- Take pictures and unnecessary stuff that will go elsewhere off Google Drive & Dropbox. Make sure each items gets to the right place, or is deleted if no longer needed. Make a list of what type of information I put where.
- Create a physical folder for each site: List all articles, date published/republished, etc.
- Tweak my marketing plan.
- Edit manuscript.
- First eGuide for the site. (Started this last year, but didn’t get as far as I wanted.)
- 1 card just for freelance income and expenses. (New Year Goal: Separating Expenses)
- Make plans for a couple of columns I’d like to write. Organize my ideas in a cohesive manner.)
- Plan future projects in an organized way.
- Practice using voice recognition software.
- Learn how to make good use of Buffer.
- Type up processes for easy access when I need to remember how to do things.
As you can see, I have a fair amount I want to accomplish this year that will make my space and processes more efficient. Will I get to everything? Not sure, but I know I can put a good dent in things. That is what’s important. Anything left over can be done next year, but I intend to get most done before then.
There is much I want to do for all of you, and getting myself organized will help me to do it all.
What is your theme word for 2017?
If organization is in the works for you, then read my book Organize Your Space and Stuff.
Organize Your Space and Stuff is a compilation of many articles from How to Live the Freelance Life. Each article has been expanded on for this book, with updates on how things have changed, and action steps to guide you in setting up and keeping up with your office or office space.
A bonus section at the back of this eBook gives the reader creative projects that will aid in furthering their career and brightening their day. These projects are not to be missed. They are fun!
Organize Your Space and Stuff provides take-aways such as ideas for organizing projects and record keeping, as well as keeping track of successes. Organizing the way you do business does not have to be difficult. The eBook offers advice from someone who has tried many things, before beginning to get it right. It also offers recommendations for having a ‘greener’ office environment, and advice for keeping what you need on-hand, so it is available when needed.
I’d love to hear about your theme word, goals, and/or resolutions, as well as your plans to make this a successful year. Comment below, or email me at email@example.com.
Happy New Year!
Shannon L. Buck
- Moving On - January 4, 2018
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017