Over the last couple of days I have posted Overcoming Writers Block Part 1, as well as Part 2. Part 1 mentioned how I use television and movies to come up with writing ideas, and part 2 discussed how I use my reading to accomplish the same task.
In this post I will be discussing how I get creative, and how that generally leads to writing.
I am a creative person in general, so it is not difficult for me to switch from writing to something like photography or a craft project, or even cooking. I love to scrapbook, and to make ornaments and gifts. Getting crafty for decorating purposes is also something I enjoy.
So how does all this creativity lead to more writing?
When my muse is not cooperating with me I will switch gears, say to a scrapbooking project. From this one project, possibly a 2 page spread, I will take what I am doing and think up a few ideas for writing projects. For instance, from a two page spread I might come up with ideas for how-to articles, such as:
- How to Journal Your Scrapbook
- How to Mat Photographs for a Scrapbook Page
- How to use Embellishments on a Scrapbook Page
I might also come up with ideas for a couple other types of articles, such as:
- Why Journaling Your Scrapbook is Important
- What to Journal about in Your Scrapbook
I might even be able to come up with more ideas if I wanted to take more time to think about it, but you get the picture.
Just taking photographs aids me in coming up with ideas. I walk to do this, which is a mind clearing activity for me. Taking photographs allows me to stop thinking about writing to concentrate fully on something else. Once I get home, and am looking through the photographs, I can usually come up with a few ideas for short stories. I don’t always end up using all the ideas.
Does being creative in other ways help your writing career? Let us know how in the comments, or email me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You might be interested in:
Shannon L. Buck
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017