Over the last couple of days I have posted Overcoming Writers Block Part 1, as well as Part 2. Part 1 mentioned how I use television and movies to come up with writing ideas, and part 2 discussed how I use my reading to accomplish the same task.
In this post I will be discussing how I get creative, and how that generally leads to writing.
I am a creative person in general, so it is not difficult for me to switch from writing to something like photography or a craft project, or even cooking. I love to scrapbook, and to make ornaments and gifts. Getting crafty for decorating purposes is also something I enjoy.
So how does all this creativity lead to more writing?
When my muse is not cooperating with me I will switch gears, say to a scrapbooking project. From this one project, possibly a 2 page spread, I will take what I am doing and think up a few ideas for writing projects. For instance, from a two page spread I might come up with ideas for how-to articles, such as:
- How to Journal Your Scrapbook
- How to Mat Photographs for a Scrapbook Page
- How to use Embellishments on a Scrapbook Page
I might also come up with ideas for a couple other types of articles, such as:
- Why Journaling Your Scrapbook is Important
- What to Journal about in Your Scrapbook
I might even be able to come up with more ideas if I wanted to take more time to think about it, but you get the picture.
Just taking photographs aids me in coming up with ideas. I walk to do this, which is a mind clearing activity for me. Taking photographs allows me to stop thinking about writing to concentrate fully on something else. Once I get home, and am looking through the photographs, I can usually come up with a few ideas for short stories. I don’t always end up using all the ideas.
Does being creative in other ways help your writing career? Let us know how in the comments, or email me personally at email@example.com.
You might be interested in:
Shannon L. Buck
- Moving On - January 4, 2018
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017