Downtime is important for you, your business, and your creative mind. Taking time away from your freelance business provides your body and your mind with the break needed to rest and rejuvenate.
How long should downtime be? That depends on you. First, consider taking at least one day off each week. Then, once a month, take 2 or 3 days off in a row. Consider taking a week or two off at the holidays, and again in the summer.
How can this be managed with all the work that has to be done? Productivity and Scheduling are key here. Be sure that, when working, you are doing so in the most productive way possible. Take it easy with email and social networking, sticking to just the business/creative aspect of your freelance career.
Schedule your downtime, putting it on the calendar. Then schedule projects to be finished before each period of downtime. Break them up into steps that are needed to be completed each day if you must. Activate away messages for things such as email when you will not be working, indicating when you will be back to work and letting people know that you will get back to them as soon as you can after that date.
What should be done during downtime? Sleep. Relax. Eat. Enjoy life. Take walks. Go to the beach. Do whatever you enjoy. Try to spend some of that time by yourself, and with family, and even a little time with friends.
And always keep a notebook with you to jot down ideas quickly. Do not spend too much time on this activity. General, quick, note-taking is the way to go.
You will find yourself rejuvenated when you start back up with your career after some downtime.
How do you spend your downtime?
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017