Downtime is important for you, your business, and your creative mind. Taking time away from your freelance business provides your body and your mind with the break needed to rest and rejuvenate.
How long should downtime be? That depends on you. First, consider taking at least one day off each week. Then, once a month, take 2 or 3 days off in a row. Consider taking a week or two off at the holidays, and again in the summer.
How can this be managed with all the work that has to be done? Productivity and Scheduling are key here. Be sure that, when working, you are doing so in the most productive way possible. Take it easy with email and social networking, sticking to just the business/creative aspect of your freelance career.
Schedule your downtime, putting it on the calendar. Then schedule projects to be finished before each period of downtime. Break them up into steps that are needed to be completed each day if you must. Activate away messages for things such as email when you will not be working, indicating when you will be back to work and letting people know that you will get back to them as soon as you can after that date.
What should be done during downtime? Sleep. Relax. Eat. Enjoy life. Take walks. Go to the beach. Do whatever you enjoy. Try to spend some of that time by yourself, and with family, and even a little time with friends.
And always keep a notebook with you to jot down ideas quickly. Do not spend too much time on this activity. General, quick, note-taking is the way to go.
You will find yourself rejuvenated when you start back up with your career after some downtime.
How do you spend your downtime?
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017