Becoming a freelance writer may seem confusing, but it really isn’t. There is a lot that goes into building this type of career, yes, but you can take it slow, getting your feet wet before jumping in head first.
Build up to it.
Don’t be too hard on yourself.
- Write. Every day. Something. A blog post. An article. Something.
- Write more. Two or three articles, plus a blog post or two, will get you even further.
- Edit everything you write.
- Create a blog. One about the topic you write the most about, or a writers’ blog about you and your business.
- Monitor comments on your blog. There is a lot of spam that comes through on a blog. Set your controls to indicate you want to read comments first, then allow posts manually.
- Edit the blog as well. Grammar and punctuation are so important.
- Find the clients you need to keep yourself in business. Your blog is the first step, but you also have to actively search out writing opportunities. Make sure your query letters are also well written. So many are not these days.
- Offer guest posts to other freelance writers, or to bloggers who cater to the audience you are looking for. Be sure these guest posts are well written and edited as well, as they are an example of your work.
- Check your email. Limit the amount of time you do this, but check. Especially if you are waiting to hear from someone about a possible writing job.
- Meet your deadlines.
Freelance writing is a worthy career choice, but you will have to work at it.
Shannon L. Buck
- Do You Have What it Takes to Become a Freelance Writer? (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017