Whether your freelance career provides you with a lot of physical activity or uses mostly brain power, you will find yourself needing to take a break at different points in your career. I suggest at least three vacations (or mini vacations) per year.
Physical activity takes a lot out of you, as does mental activity. Both of these can lead to stress and fatigue. As a freelance writer, I use a lot of brain power. Sometimes I feel as though I may burn out. When I start to feel this way, I take a break. If I have any paid projects that need to be finished, I finish them before I take my break.
A one or two week vacation seems like a great idea, but I have difficulty not performing writing tasks. Or at least some other business tasks. I tend to take more mini vacations. Usually one every month or two.
Doing so allows my brain to rest and recharge. When I get back to the writing business, my mind is clear and I am better able to concentrate on tasks in an organized manner, and with gust.
Schedule your vacations.
Scheduling a full vacation every three or four months, or a mini vacations every month or two, will be helpful. Doing this now, and marking your calendar, will provide you with a guide indicating when you should not schedule paid projects from clients.
A full vacation amounts to 1 or 2 weeks of free time.
A mini vacation can be anywhere from 2 to 4 days long.
Schedule your vacations now, taking into consideration important events you would like to attend, and times when your family will also take time off from school/work.
Shannon L. Buck
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017