The mistakes are different for each of us. Perhaps you forgot to update a client on your progress, or to do a last edit on a piece before sending it to the editor. Maybe you didn’t quite make that self-imposed deadline for a blog post, even after letting everyone on your list know that you’d have it out on Friday.
It happens. To all of us.
But what do you do now that you realize the mistake?
- Acknowledge to yourself that the mistake was made, and remind yourself that it can happen to anyone. Take it easy on yourself; don’t beat yourself up over it. It’s okay, and fixable (in most cases).
- Fix the mistake. Do the edits. Write the blog post and prepare it for publication. Do what you have to do in order to rectify the situation, in a professional manner.
- Send an email or otherwise apologize, depending on the mistake. Attach the finished product, be it an edited versions of the article you just sent or something else. Explain what happened, tell them you are sorry in a heartfelt way, and wait to hear from them.
Most people understand the occasional mistake, and wont worry too much, though there are situations where mistakes are not going to be acceptable.
Don’t hide from people or try to get around the fact that you made the mistake.
- Moving On - January 4, 2018
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017