To begin Year 1 of my freelance writing career, I was also working as a childcare provider – my own business. Often, during year 2, freelancers are still working their ‘day jobs’. I am not, though I suppose I should be. Childcare opportunities were not presenting themselves after a while, other than for situations that I did not want to be in, so I simply started concentrating more on the freelance business.
Lucky? No. I struggled much last year in beginning to build this career. I was ill and could not concentrate on as much as I would have liked to. This year is looking much better, however.
If you have the means, it may be better to keep your day job a while longer. If you do not want to do this, consider cutting back to part time. But try to hold on to that income until you can support yourself and your family on what you make freelancing.
Given the opportunity, I would have waited until I had six months of income in the bank before getting done with the childcare business. I did not have that opportunity, though, which has made the climb all the more difficult for me.
Think carefully about your own situation before giving up your day job completely. Consider everything from bills, clothing and school supplies, to food and household items. Think about what you will do if there is an emergency.
Shannon L. Buck
- 10 Ways to Increase Your Luck: A Musician’s Tips for Freelancers (freelanceswitch.com)
- Pursue your passion or the cushy day job instead? (psychologytoday.com)
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017