Most people have some sort of routine, even if it is just having a coffee each morning before heading into the home office to work. Having a routine that works for you, one that allows you to accomplish everything necessary throughout each work day, is important to the success of your freelance business.
What routine will work best for your business? Think about this for a while and write down a plan. Try the new routine for 3 to 5 days, but do not worry if it doesn’t work out. You can always try another approach. Your goal is to find the best routine for you.
My schedule changes often, and so does my routine. I am able to handle this because I am used to having to be flexible in my daily life. Being a single mom while running a day care business and homeschooling my daughters helped to condition me for this. Often, my schedule changes once or twice a week.
My Tuesday Routine
Wake up and try not to get bruised by the dogs who are happy to see me.
Consume caffeine. Share my baby carrots with dog #1. Share my string cheese with dog #2.
Get dressed and prepare to leave the house.
Run errands in town.
Head to the park and work for 2 ½ hours, or until the battery to the laptop dies.
Walk a mile and then head to the library. Consume a small lunch around noon, and a snack around 3:00.
Go home, drop off work stuff, brush teeth and head out for my walk. 2 to 5 miles.
Feed the cats, shower and do evening tasks before showering and settling in for the evening of either writing or playing Solitaire.
While at the Park
Check facebook, business gmail and blog and article stats.
Listen to Pandora radio throughout this period.
Also play a few minutes of Mafia Wars.
Deal with any small business tasks before leaving.
While at the Library
Copy and paste articles and blog posts into platforms. Submit where necessary and publish the rest on my own.
Work on the new blog.
Claim writing assignments.
Edit anything necessary.
Do promotional tasks.
Check in on Facebook a few times throughout the day.
Check other networking and bookmarking sites.
Check gmail before leaving.
Shannon L. Buck
- Special Report: Your Teen Can Help Your Freelance Career (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- eCourse: Setting Up Your Business Blog (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- What is the Freelance Life? (howtolivethefreelancelife.wordpress.com)
- Favorite Writing Tools - October 9, 2017
- We All Make Mistakes - September 11, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Harvest Salad - September 1, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Shrimp Scampi Salad - August 14, 2017
- Let Your Teen Help As You Build a Home Business: While Learning Valuable Skills for the Future (eBook) - July 26, 2017
- Careers for Freelancers (eBook) - July 12, 2017
- Healthy Freelancer’s Recipe: Berry Parfaits - July 1, 2017
- Green Your Freelance Business (eBook) - June 28, 2017
- Freelance Ponderings & Advice: Writing Outside - June 20, 2017
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017