Libraries are not what they used to be. That’s for sure. When everyone was shushed if they talked over a whisper, and sometimes for whispering. Things have changed.
You are now allowed to use regular voices in the library. Children, in fact, often get a bit louder. Being in the library is like being in any other public place, except people do not go around shouting.
The good thing about this is that, when I work at the Old Town Public Library, I get background noise. Even the librarians are talking in normal voices, rather than hushed. Small children come through with Cindy, to learn about the library or a new book. The noise is not unsettling at all.
There are benefits to working at the library. Ones that make the noise worthwhile, at least for me.
The background noise helps me to concentrate.
There is air conditioning, so on the hottest of days I can relax and work under manageable conditions. This is a big plus for me on these days, because my asthma kicks in something fierce when the air is that heavy.
There are sofas and comfortable chairs, as well as tables to sit at.
I can take my shoes off when sitting on a sofa, until I need to get up for something.
Once in a while I will chat with someone.
I get to watch the small children play and have fun.
If I can’t find a resource for needed information, there is someone there who can help me.
If there is an issue with my laptop, there is often someone who can help with that as well. I am not exactly technologically inclined enough to be able to fix seemingly simple things 😀
There is a sense of community at the library that I don’t get elsewhere.
I can leave my laptop open and turned on, and my tote bag with notes and snacks, on the sofa or a table while I use the ladies room or look for a resource.
The library is still a great place to work as long as you don’t mind the chattering going on around you.
Shannon L. Buck
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017