I might go all day, forgetting to eat and exercise. Forgetting to relax. Other times, I work so many days in a row, that, even though I’m breaking for meals and walks, I never feel rested. On these days, I’m generally working from the time I get up until late at night.
Our brains need a break from mental work, just as our bodies need a break from physical work. When we are exhausted from mental or physical work, our bodies let us know. We start making silly mistakes, getting cranky, and feeling overwhelmed.
No one wants those types of things to happen, so It’s best to give ourselves a break.
Go to your calendar. See what is open. Take the time now to schedule some downtime. And don’t let yourself feel guilty about it. Here are some ideas on how to begin scheduling much needed breaks:
- Set up easy mornings: Sleep in a little, wake up slowly. Do a few yoga moves, meditate, then shower and sip tea while eating a healthy breakfast.
- Spend at least 15 minutes after lunch journaling.
- Take a little time during your walk to sit by the river and think about something other than work.
- Schedule an entire afternoon off to hang with your bestest. Get your hair cut, go out to lunch. Enjoy some girl time.
- Schedule at least two days off each week. Three when you can swing it.
- Schedule holiday time off. If you have a career where taking the entire month of December off is a possibility, do it. Why not?
- Schedule three long weekends. One for yourself, one for a family vacation, and one for you and hubby.
Taking a break never fails because it rejuvenates you, helping with the flow of ideas and preventing silly mess-ups. Breaks will also give your mind and body a chance to relax, and are also keys to living a healthier lifestyle.
Only you know what will work best for you, and what you need. Take the time now to figure out what that is, and things will go more smoothly from here on out.
Shannon L. Buck
- Benefits Of Working Outside (livethefreelancelife.com)
- Batching Days | Live the Freelance Life (livethefreelancelife.com)
- Plan Now for an Easier Holiday Season | Live the Freelance Life (livethefreelancelife.com)
- Organize Your Space and Stuff (eBook) - June 14, 2017
- Spring Desk Decor - June 11, 2017
- How to Write a Blog Post in an Hour or Less - May 7, 2017
- Sit or Stand? Or Both? - April 30, 2017
- Brainstorming Sessions with the Bestest - April 25, 2017
- 10 Examples of What to do Next - April 23, 2017
- How Many Times Have You Put off Writing That Book? - April 21, 2017
- How Downtime can Help You to Succeed - April 18, 2017
- Here’s What Happens When You Stay Focused - April 16, 2017
- 5 Minutes to a Better Morning: Planning & Setting Up the Night Before - April 9, 2017